Communication – Public Speaking
Why does someone need public speaking skills and ability? Does it make any difference in the way of living? If so then what makes people to build up public speaking ability? Are there anything that holds one behind?
Such question ponders most and throw random thoughts which are unique from person to person and few are driven away and hide in caves and live reserved life as I am one who is overcoming such lifestyle and building up so called public communication skills. These skills drive and form key part in building leadership skills.
Now to generalize it there are primary two types I like to share:
- Speaking in public in specific topic which may be professional subject or educational content or social interaction.
- Table topic which speaking on topic presented spot on where there is no time to prepare speech.
Developing such skills needs Goals, Visions, Practice, Interaction, Evaluation.
Without goal nothing is accomplished as every project has goal and planned to achieve so does this project “Public Speaking” should be built on certain understanding by specifying tasks which are measurable in skills by acme of words, whose actions are achieved to improve audience engagement, by investing more time in resources as practicing to speak, reading relevant information and getting feedback from sample audiences and repetition of this process frequently over time to build confidence.
Every one has different strengths and weaknesses here are few common interest found in newbie like me,
- Asking rhetorical questions on topic after speech (for audiences engagement)
- Speak topic that interests audiences
- Use hands if possible one hand to express words and sentences known as animated speech
- Eye contact, looking in audience eyes helps them to engage and interactive
- Use opposite terms in speech and use humor sometimes keep speech interactive
- Use open body language to audiences to make them feel comfortable
- Variation in speech with high and low tone will keep audiences awake
- Use pauses (2-3 sec) in between sentences where needed instead of fill-in words (am, so, etc)
- For education speech use introduction followed by matter and in end summarizing whole topic
- Open speech with WHY? to make it more interesting to audience.
Continuous improvement only occurs when there is feedback, practice and evaluation of speech. And then improvement are action-ed by habit which is practicing skills, speak with people around us and ask for feedback.